Barcelona Airport Buses
There are a number of bus routes to and from Barcelona airport; metropolitan services to locations in the city, intercity services to other cities in Spain and international buses to France and Andorra. Some services serve either Terminal 1 (T1) or Terminal 2 (T2), while others have drop off and pick up points at both.
The routes offered are:
- A1 Bus - Barcelona Airport Terminal 1 to Plaça de Catalunya
- A2 Bus - Barcelona Airport Terminal 2 to Plaça de Catalunya
The fastest and most regular service is the Aerobus. The A1 operates between terminal 1 and the city centre and the A2 serves terminal 2. Both services from the airport stop at Plaça d'Espanya, Gran Via Urgell, Plaça Universitat and terminate at Plaça de Catalunya. The return journey to the airport begins at Plaça de Catalunya stopping at Sepulveda/Urgell and Plaça d'Espanya.
The buses are adapted for disabled passengers, have ample luggage space and free wifi and USB charging points are provided.
From terminal 1, the A1 runs every ten minutes from 05:35 to 07:20, every five minutes from 07:30 to 22:20, and every ten minutes from 22.25 to 01:05. From terminal 2, the A2 runs every ten minutes from 05:35 to 01:00. From the city centre, both services commence at 05:00. They both run every day of the year to the same timetable. The average journey time is thirty-five minutes.
A single ticket costs €5.90. A return ticket is €10.20 and the return journey must be made within fifteen days of the outward trip. Children under four travel free. You can buy tickets using cash from the driver or the attendants at the bus stops, by credit or debit card from ticket machines, and in advance on the Aerobus website at www.aerobusbcn.com.
- TMB Buses
The routes offered are:
- Bus L99 - Barcelona Airport Terminal 1 to Castelldefels
- Bus 46 - Barcelona Airport Terminal 1 and 2 to Plaça d'Espanya
TMB is Barcelona Metropolitan Transport, which operates the Metro and the city's buses.
Route L99 runs from terminal 1 arrivals area and serves the suburbs to the north and west of the airport terminating in Castelldefels. It doesn't go to the city.
The number 46 bus runs between the airport and Plaça d'Espanya, stopping at various locations in the city. The bus operates from terminal 1 and terminal 2 to the city from 04:50 to 23:50 and at the same times from the city to the airport. It runs approximately every thirty-eight minutes and the journey time is around fifty-five minutes from terminal 1 and forty minutes from terminal 2. A single ticket costs €2.15.
The buses are wheelchair friendly with ramps at the doors. There is no additional luggage space so you might find the bus awkward if you have large cases or a large number of bags.
- Night Buses
The routes offered are:
- N17 Bus: Barcelona Airport Terminal 1 to Plaça de Catalunya
- N16 Bus: Castelldefels to Plaça de Catalunya via Barcelona Airport Terminal 2
The N17 night bus runs between terminal 1 and the city centre every twenty minutes throughout the night from 21:55 to 04:05. The service terminates at Plaça de Catalunya and there are fifteen stops on route. The single ticket price is €2.15.
The N16 night bus runs between Castelldefels and Plaça de Catalunya via terminal 2 every twenty minutes. From terminal 2 to the city the service operates from 23:33 to 05:13. It stops at three locations at terminal 2 and there are then fourteen stops on route. A single ticket costs €2.15.
Both buses have wheelchair access but no additional luggage space. Journey times are approximately thirty minutes. For full details check the website.
If you want to travel to a place outside for city, there are numerous intercity buses available. The main routes offered are as follows:
- Terminal 1 to Teruel - This stops at Ebro and Peñiscola and is offered by HIFE.
- Terminal 1 to El Vendrell - This stops at Bellvitge, Ribes, Sitges, Rocamar, Roquetes, Vilanova, Cubelles, Cunit, Segur and Calafell and is offered by Monbus.
- Terminal 1 to Lleida - This is offered by Alsa.
- Terminal 1 to Valencia - This is offered by Alsa.
- La Granadella to Tarragona - This goes via Terminals 1 and 2, stopping at Torredembarra, Tarragona, La Pineda, Port Aventura, Salou, Cambrils and Reus. This is offered by Bus Plana.
- Terminals 1 & 2 to Figueres - This goes via Girona (line 602) and is offered by Sagalés.
- Terminals 1 & 2 to Blanes - This is offered by Sagalés.
- Terminals 1 & 2 covering the Costa Brava - This includes this destinations Begur, Bellcaire d'Empordà, Cadaqués, Castelló d'Empúries, Empuriabrava, L'Escala, Lloret de Mar, Montràs, Palafrugell, Palamós, Pals, Platja d'Aro, Roses, S'Agaró, Sant Antoni de Calonge, Sant Feliu de Guíxols, Santa Cristina d'Aro, Torroella de Montgrí, Tossa de Mar and Ullà. The service is offered by Safra.
For all the buses, follow the signs and take time to make sure you are getting the correct bus in the right direction.
If you are going to be using public transport often while you are in Barcelona, it works out much cheaper to buy one of the city's travel cards. The cards available are as follows:
- T10 Transport Ticket
The T10 card costs €9.95. You can purchase this card from vending machines and ticket offices. With it, you can make ten journeys on buses, trains, the Metro and the tram within Zone 1. Most of the main attractions are inside this zone. It also covers buses and the train to the airport. You can share one ticket, so two of you will be able to make five journeys.
Please note that the T10 ticket is not valid for use on the Aerobus to and from the airport.
- Hola BCN Travel Card
The Hola BCN travel card entitles you to make unlimited journeys for 2, 3, 4 or five days on the bus, Metro, tram and train.
You can buy the card from Metro stations and ticket desks. The cost is between €14.50 and €33.70 depending on how many days you require. You can get 10% discount by buying the card online in advance. You will receive an email with a code that you enter in the vending machine to collect your ticket.
The Hola BCN card is not valid on the Aerobus.
- Barcelona Card
The Barcelona Card is on a similar basis to the Hola BCN Card, except that it also entitles you to big discounts for many attractions, shows, bike hire, museums, restaurants, etc. Some museums are free with this card.
The cost for two days is €20.00, three days €42.75, four days €52.25 and five days €57.00. The website sometimes offers discounts on the card during off-peak periods.
The Barcelona card is not valid on the Aerobus.